Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Give Until It Hurts"

How much do you give to a street dweller? We have a buddy that lives on our street. He LIVES on our street. His eyes look like Chris McCandlis (sp) from Into the Wild. K. is a smart man, some say he was well integrated and productive until he took to "theiving" and then some folks put some vodoo on him. Doesn't matter. He is hungry, but never alone in a country that values community.

How much do we give? A sandwich? Money? A bed? A "morning" in passing? Some say you give not from your excess, but from what you need, give until it hurts. We come from a "bootstrap culture". How much do you give? Our actions are shaped by our past experiences. Is it possible to re-program? Is it possible to "Give Until It Hurts"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is something i have been thinking a lot about lately, I think because I am not working and feel very guilty about it. Then I feel selfish with my money, my possessions. But, always in the end, I know that I can give something-my spirit, a good mood, hope, a Cleary joke....There is no excuse not to give something of yourself, to touch another human, to interchange your lives, your souls. I am constantly feeling power from both of you, always have, always will. Love you...