Monday, July 26, 2010

If I"m hungry...

FEED ME. Seems basic. He was walking the streets of Kingston at 6AM on a Saturday. I saw him approach with the umbrella catching some of the rain. He was holding his pants up with one hand, shoeless. He approached me and begged me some money. I slowly shook my head "no". He looked me in the eyes and says, "please". I walked on. He was no older than 13 or 14.

Feed me when I am hungry.

Hunger sucks. I sucked at that moment. After a long walk through the streets of the war torn town, 12 murders in the previous 48 hours, I was able to slack the mango mans thirst with enough money to buy some breakfast..where is the 14 year old?

Feed me when I am hungry.

I looked away after 25 months on this island. I have created an impervious shell around me. The pain is too much to face everyday. Will the hungry boy be in Kodiak, Texas, San Diego? I hope I am capable of healing and saying, "yes" next time.

Feed me....

BJC

No comments: